Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The TPACK Stack

For my second post about my book study with "Mobile Learning Mindset", I want to focus on the following: how can I adjust my coaching skills and presentations to take into account the TPACK model and share some ideas I have for new PD opportunities.

Carl mentions that teachers need time to change and that "in some ways, this slow and steady goal [creates] a lifestyle change" (p.45). Unfortunately, if teachers are rushed or feel like "technology integration" is a buzzword for the year, they may see this as temporary instead of staying in it.

As a coach, I know my role should include the following:
  1. Provide scaffolds of support to Ts
  2. Help Ts identify small "baby" steps to help them "walk" before they "run".
  3. Model technology integration throughout presentations and trainings created because "every training is an opportunity to model effective tech integration" (p.63).
I know I've been to multiple "sit and get" sessions and I walk away feeling more curious about how it would look in my class. Two summers ago, I went to an AP Statistics Institute where the presenter modeled lessons and I was on fire about teaching that class. We actually did the activities we would use in class and then he'd provide extensions as we debriefed each one afterwards. Carl encourages presenters to allow the teachers to experience "the standpoint of the student in their classroom." I think if they see the benefit and an example in a presentation, they have a reference and can see how exciting devices can be in their classroom if used in conjunction with content and pedagogy.

How can I modify and enhance our current PD in the district?

Maybe what the could look like?

  • Develop more trainings around MR part of SAMR
  • Run a monthly Twitter Chats to encourage Ts to reach out to not just their peers at their campus but globally as well.
  • Create online courses (taking notes over how this book study is run)
  • Provide monthly "Appy Hours" to my campuses that are geared toward specific, campus needs - use Google Forms to get ideas from the campus
  • Encourage teachers to share their successes/failures at the start of the technology trainings (perhaps anonymously to help Ts willingly share)
  • MY BIG IDEA: Creating digital badges for our technology website (Teacher Corner) based on the Ed Tech Tool category. Then create a digital directory so Ts can reach out to those on their campus or their content area district-wide for support using tech tools successfully. Each badge could even have 3 levels based on how many tech tools they've used and require a reflection piece. Furthermore, admin could have a minimum badge requirement or minimum level requirement.

Check out Chapter 5-6 Booksnaps!

  


I brainstormed for this blog post using MindMeister! It's one of my favorites. Here is my mindmap!

Why I love it:
  • Includes icons, emojis, and symbols
  • Easy to organize your thoughts with various templates
  • Customize the bubbles and text
  • Can sign in with Google!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for including the mindmap!! I haven't seen that site before but definitely want to look into it more.

    ReplyDelete