Wednesday, March 7, 2018

The Mobile Mindset

After sharing my thoughts about what it can mean to have a mathematical mindset, I wanted to share my thinking about my other book study on the Mobile Learning Mindset by Carl Hooker. This quick read focuses on a shift that takes place when a 1:1 environment or even student devices are introduced. It offers various books based on your role - hence I'm currently reading the Coach's Implementation Guide.

A little background on me as I have morphed into a different role in my district this year. After being in the Secondary Mathematics classroom (from ESL to AP Mathematics) for 6 years, I was invited to join the Instructional Technology team. When Simon Sinek stresses to always START WITH THE WHY, which is interestingly enough where the book starts, I knew that's where I needed to start in order to help me adjust to my new surroundings.

My Why: 

It was a challenge for me to leave the classroom, and to be frank, it's a battle that I struggle with on a daily basis. One of my favorite conversions occurred during my interview where I was offered to think about this new role differently - if I can provide powerful, meaningful professional development then I can impact teachers which therefore can impact students. Carl says it best...

"Professional learning directly affects the learning of their students." (3)

My How:

The best way that I can take my "why" and turn it into my "how" is to focus on some ideas I learned in Chapter 3. In Chapter 3, Carl discusses a Top 10 List of "no"s. From the list, there were 3 that really will change things up for me:

  1. Do NOT make the training all about one person - instead take advantage of the "social energy" in the room. Recognize that everyone can be an expert. 
  2. Do NOT forget to model how you want them to teach - my favorite quote from this chapter is "don't be the sage on the stag, be the guide on the side." Encourage teachers to direct the off-task behavior to the learning objective. I need to create a similar effect in the PD offerings.
  3. Do NOT focus on the apps - this is BY FAR the hardest one for me. It's a challenge to focus on just the pedagogy of technology integration without providing some concrete ideas for teachers to take away. I want to take it beyond the conversation! Carl instead focuses on "how can the technology make curriculum come to life?" and for me to focus on "[having] to know enough about the apps so [I] can find something that interests them" (26). I think reminding myself of this can guide me to have different conversations and take on the coaching-style of things. 

Coaching Different Types of Teachers:

Carl finds there are 4 types of teachers and he equates them to an "Oregon Trail" attitude. 
Who didn't love this game?!
  • Trailblazer: This teacher can take off running and try things out without fear. 
  • Pioneers: This teacher can troubleshoot and will utilize the trailblazers as a guide to start.
  • Locals: This teacher can be develop a fixed mindset and not see the value of technology...YET!
  • Settlers: This teacher will get ready to "move to new land" if they can find the value in it...i.e. the WHY!! In order for them to move, they do need valuable PD opportunities to guide them on their "travels".

For me, I'm a pioneer. 

I think I can get nervous trying things out for the first time. However, I will definitely utilize research that shows an improvement was made or the product has the value I'm looking for. On the other hand, I wouldn't think I'm a settler, because I still like to be the one to try it out sooner rather than later and I love sharing my thoughts and experiences with others. When I try out a tech tool and it engendered a positive energy for my students (and my caffeinated self let's be real), I felt a compulsive neeeeeed to share it with my team and anyone who would listen to my sentences filled with too many words that people were sure was a one-sentence paragraph.  

Other Take-Aways (with the help of BookSnaps!)

 

Be on the look for additional posts coming soon about my reading adventures...



No comments:

Post a Comment